Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Watching a Young Flutist

I've recently discovered a new blog by a music student at a university in Kentucky: A Classical Journey.

In today's post, titled Weather, Adam writes about "having a normal life" while pursuing his dream. This might have been me 30 years ago except for two things. First, as I've written before, my father forbid me to be a music major. Second, I don't have the gift.

And even if I did have the gift, I'm not sure it would have been a good idea to pursue a career in music. I did show a gift for acting, and was encouraged to pursue it professionally while I was in college. However, I was difficult to live with when I had a part in a play. Just ask my mother. Or some of my college friends. There were days I didn't like myself! For the most part it was something I enjoyed, but it was those days when the temperamental actor personality took over, I was miserable. On the other hand, I never got that way with music, and I was much more involved in music than I ever was in theater. So maybe a temperamental musician personality would never have come into being.

Do I regret my choices? Maybe on rare occasions, but for the most part, no.

I see Adam discovering the balance participating in normal student activities brings to his life. As I've written over the past few months, getting back to music has been reteaching me the importance of balance. I hope he hangs onto his balance as he pursues his dreams and goals.

P.S. Adam, you need to fix the comments portion of your template, because it doesn't open the window enough for someone to type in the verification word.

No comments:

Post a Comment