Monday, February 22, 2010

Maybe I Should Have Gone The "Give Up Something" Route

I make use of Google Reader to track the blogs I read regularly and also to let me know if anything pops up in the areas of Christian Formation/Education. This afternoon I noticed this post on Susan Russell's An Inch At A Time. An online Lenten Study Group? Hmmmm... Studying Nora Gallagher's The Sacred Meal? Hmmmm...

A book on my To Read list and an opportunity to participate in an online community with a specific topic/theme, how could I pass it up? This morning I had a phone conversation with a colleague in Minnesota about starting an online community for Lesson Plans That Work, and we are in the process of setting up two Lesson Plans-related blogs (more on that at a later date). So, I whipped out my trusty Kindle and ordered the book, which of course, was delivered in seconds, and I started reading it on the train ride home.

I'm leading a Lent study group in my parish on Diana Butler Bass' A People's History of Christianity at noon on the second, third, and fourth Sundays of Lent. And I'm participating in the 8:00 a.m. bible study on the Passion Narratives being offered by our priest on every Sunday in Lent. Vestry, to which I was elected at January's Annual Meeting, meets the third Sunday of every month at noon. I finally have keys, so I can access the classroom that will become our new prayer room. Not to mention that I'm the parish webmaster, which means overseeing both the web site and our Facebook page.

Oh, and my full time job at the Episcopal Church Center.

I think I'm about Lented out, and it's only the first Monday in Lent!

Peace,
Jeff

2 comments:

  1. too much is too much is too much. Don't church yourself out while you are Lenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today one of the young women at Starbucks asked me what I'm giving up for Lent. I said, "I'm giving up doing nothing in the morning! Every Lent I take on a discipline, which I hope will become my discipline all year, but it never does." I think I'll blog and facebook this. At least it's a post!

    ReplyDelete