Sunday, August 17, 2008

Two Boxes

The first two boxes are done. I wish now that I'd taken pictures of them before I started. The first one is a square box that I painted dark blue. I think the paint color is Night Sky. The picture on the cover is a print of Rublev's Trinity icon. Rachel suggested adding the larger square of paper, and it really highlights the print.



The second box is a gift for Ruth-Ann, so she has a crush-proof box to pack her sacred space items when she facilitates meetings. She has an affinity for Mary, so I went through a lot of images before finally coming back to Our Lady of Guadeloupe. This particular image of Mary is symbolic of the work Ruth-Ann and I have done with Province IX of the Episcopal Church.




I also picked out some new items for her. I bought the hand-woven white cloth at a craft fair a few years ago because I liked it. It sat in a drawer ever since waiting to be used. I thought of it while working on this box and pulled it out to give to Ruth-Ann. The three small cards are different images of Mary, and the tea light holder will hold a votive size candle too. And since we can't always light a real candle in some of our meeting rooms, I also bought a battery powered flickering tea light.



The next two boxes are almost done. I have one last coat of varnish to paint on both of them and hinges to re-attach to one. I should have pictures of them in the next couple of days.

I'm having trouble with the last box. The varnish is smearing the decorative elements, and I have to redo at least two sides.

Sometimes it's just nice to work with your hands.

Peace,
Jeffri

1 comment:

  1. Lucky Ruth-Ann. I must say I'm a might envious. Great job! Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete