Friday, August 29, 2008

Apathy

I haven't paid too much attention to the presidential election of late. I watched a couple of the early debates and basically saw "politics as usual" being played out. The one Democratic candidate I felt most strongly about, New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson, didn't have a snowball's chance in hell, and he was indeed knocked out early in the primaries. The remainder of the Democratic primary turned into a prolonged slug fest between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. The Republican primary was an interesting dance amongst the religious candidates and "war hero" John McCain.

For the remainder of the primaries what little news allowed through my filters was heard while reading, watching, or listening to media regarding news about other issues. The only information of passing interest was that the Democratic party would be making history no matter which front runner won. We would have the nation's first person of color or first woman as the presidential candidate for a major party. Other than that, I did not, and still do not, hold out much hope that things will change very much no matter who occupies the White House for the next four years.

Last night, mostly out of curiosity, I turned on the television to watch Obama's acceptance speech. At first I was surprisingly impressed. Then I realized that his speech was nothing more than a series of sound bytes strung together for maximum effect.

Blah blah blah, we need change. Yada yada yada, we don't need four more years of Bush/McCain. Blah blah blah, the economy is a big issue. Yada yada yada, Roosevelt and Kennedy. Blah blah blah, I have a dream.

I expect we'll hear much the same, cast in Republican terms, from McCain in a few days.

For the first time in my life, I am seriously tempted not to vote for President.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment