Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bible Study With The Bishops: What Would We Do?

Reading Plan Text for June 19: John 19:1-8

For the third time Pilate attempts to release Jesus. He has Jesus flogged, which according to Burridge is not the more serious scourging indicated in Matthew and Mark, and then mockingly dressed as a king. Perhaps he thought this would satisfy the Jewish leaders. The only thing it accomplishes is to draw the truth from them:

We have a law, and according to that law he ought to die because he has claimed to be the Son of God.

Now when Pilate heard this, he was more afraid than ever. (19:7-8)

An interesting reaction, considering their statement clearly makes this an internal matter in which he need not involve himself. On the other hand, if he does not do what they ask, he will have a riot to contend with, or the Jewish leaders will tell Rome of his inaction, or both. What's a governor to do?

I wonder what one of us might do if we were Pilate?

Peace,
Jeffri

1 comment:

  1. Is this the "Friday stay at home meme" (since I'm reading this on Friday, my sabbath)? I'll bite...

    I'd declare I'm sending him to Rome for judgment and execution, and then, mysteriously, the prisoner would make his escape on the way. Now, Jesus, John's Jesus, will not want to escape, so we'll have to just abandon him in the night, the guards slipping off while he sleeps. And voila, no one can blame me, Pilate, and any riots can be quelled by my armed forces.

    If that happened, would we still be saved, through the Christ?

    ReplyDelete