Monday, May 2, 2011

Re-Entry

I didn't think I was going to be able to attend Dance Camp this spring. I just couldn't rationalize the expense as my financial resources continue dwinding due to this period of unemployment. A couple of weeks before camp, a friend called and gave me an incredibly generous and thoughtful gift: a scholarship to Camp. And over the course of the weekend five or six of my friends told me that if I ever need assistance to get to camp again, I'm to call them. Period. End of discussion.

I've been part of this incredible supportive community for nearly 20 years. We have enfolded each other in loving care during times of personal transition--beginnings and endings of relationships; deaths of partners, spouses, siblings, parents, and children; job loss, job hunting, and career changes; hurts and happinesses. It is a community that struggles with change. It is a place where hugs and cuddling are a regular part of life.

And of course, we dance.

Usually I take pictures of camp. Not this time. I brought my camera. I never took it out of its case. But I did do a five minute sketch.


(Sorry about the quality. I don't have a scanner, and I can't get quite close enough with my camera.)

When I am employed, I usually take the Monday after camp as a vacation day to ease the return to non-camp life. No such luxury this time. An ongoing issue with a project I'm involved in resulted in a day of flinging emails amongst the people involved. And the world is still reacting to President Obama's announcement of the killing of Osama bin Laden.

In spite of all of that, I've managed to hang on to an improved mood--not 100%, but much improved--and some fresh energy.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you could make it, Jeffrey. Don't forget that the camp itself offers scholarships and there's plenty of money in the fund. I hope you take advantage of it AND that you can continue to supplement with friends' generosity. The whole LCFD philosophy is that noone should have to miss an event because of inability to pay. :-) In any case, I'm glad you were there this past weekend - such a marvelous time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Jeff, go. A LOT of us are behind you. Just keep on truckin'.

    ReplyDelete