Thursday, March 10, 2011

We're All Musicians

Teacher and performer D. Brian Lee has posted "Why instrumentalists should sing" on his web site.

There are times when I've been in institutions or organizations where singers were not considered musicians. Sometimes it was a matter of semantics, but at other times, it was considered a truth. I've never understood what I've always considered a false dichotomy. I've sung for as long as I can remember, and I've played instruments off and on since I was eight, beginning with the violin and including a stint with the guitar. When I played the guitar I was somewhat aware that playing an instrument made me a better singer, but it really hit home when I started playing the flute at 16. And I've sung in choirs where I was aware that my vocal practice made me a better flutist.

Some of us are instrumentalists, some of us are vocalists, and some of us are both. We are all musicians.

1 comment: