Friday, March 4, 2011

Drive Like An Old Lady

I got my car back today. Almost three months and $2,000 worth of work later, and it runs again. It's been in the shop only a week. The two-and-a-half month wait was procrastination on my part (I had a feeling it would be an expensive repair) and the chain of winter storms. While $2,000 takes a large portion of my severance, it could have been worse. And the car runs better than it did before.

I have done all right without the car because I'm lucky enough to live in a location where pretty much everything I need is within walking distance. Almost everything else is accessible by public transportation. Not quite as convenient as using my car, but doable with a little advance planning. Friends and family were good about helping out when the weather was bad, or I needed to do some major shopping. It saved me some money, too, as I've watched gas prices soar over the last three months.

I'll probably continue to walk to church, the bank, the library, and a few other places. I'm also going to make an appointment to take my bicycle in for an overhaul. I used to get around almost exclusively by bike or on foot until I was 23.

But having a working car is extremely helpful in the middle of a job search. And I'll feel less isolated because I'll be able to visit friends and not have to worry about when the buses and trains stop running. Plus I'll be able to get to board meetings that are three or more hours' drive away.

Did I tell you how relieved I am to have my car running again?

The problem was what I thought it was. The timing belt went, and it took out the valves when it snapped. The most frustrating part of the situation was that two days before the belt snapped I'd made the appointment to take the car in to have the belt and the water pump looked at. You'd think they'd design car engines differently, since this is a common problem.

Because the valves have essentially been replaced, the service manager said it would take about 200 miles of easy driving for them to settle in. I asked him if that meant no highway driving. He said, "No. You can drive on the highway. Just drive like an old lady. No rapid accelerations or driving over 80 miles an hour."

Obviously, he doesn't know the same old ladies I do. One of my friends celebrated her 100th birthday last summer, and she's still zipping around in her little car. And not just to church on Sundays. The only thing she can't do is drive at night.

Nor is it just old ladies. I see just as many old gentlemen driving like the stereotypical old lady. Puttering along at or below the minimum speed limit on the highway. Slowing down for a turn long before the car reaches the corner. In other words, being cautious because their reflexes aren't what they used to be.

Eventually, for most of us, there comes a time when we shouldn't still be driving. I hope I'm smart enough to turn in my keys when I reach that point. Or at least have someone in my life who loves me enough to take them away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment