Tuesday, March 1, 2011

And You Think I Live in A Small Space?

As many of you know, I live in an approximately 450 square-foot apartment in a converted Victorian. There's only so much stuff you can accumulate when you live in a small space.  Occasionally I find myself purging the apartment either to fee up space for something new, or because I have one of those "I have too much stuff" moments. Another purge looms in the near future, but probably not until I have a new job and can make decisions about what resources I need and which ones I can pass on to others.

There are times when I wish I had a larger home. It would be nice to have a separate bedroom so that the computer desk, the TV and the bed weren't all in the same room. And the clothes closet isn't in the dining room. And to have room for books. And a place to display my Depression Glass collection. A home large enough to entertain more than one or two friends at a time. My current dream home? A one-bedroom cottage on a postage stamp yard.

Well, there is the Victorian mansion over on Fairfield Avenue that I've loved for years...


Then there are times when I think I would be perfectly content to continue living in a small home. Easy to keep clean (I can give my apartment a thorough cleaning in less than three hours). Less tendency to let things pile up. Besides, how much space does one person really need?

One of the blogs I read regularly is Tiny House Blog. Today's entry from Matthew Hoffman describes his 160 square-foot living and working space--on wheels. I'm not sure I could manage 160 square feet, but here's one that has a 280 square-foot footprint with about the same amount of living space as I currently have.


Here's one that's 64 square feet designed to provide shelter for folks without homes.

Hmmmm...

And how difficult would it be to build some like these to provide affordable housing?


Food for thought...

2 comments:

  1. The thought of downsizing and facing the sorting and tossing leaves me in a panic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moi aussi, Barbara, me too. Each move from rectory to rectory has been a slow, inexorable downsizing.

    ReplyDelete