Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Western Christian Educators Conference - Day 4

This morning I had to track down some paperwork for Human Resources. It didn't take very long, but I used it as an excuse to miss the morning session. I'd reached the saturation point, and I really didn't think the morning exercise was going to be all that helpful. Instead, I took care of a couple of things for the office and watched the view from my window.

I sat at the "wrong" table at breakfast. I got tapped to serve during Communion at our closing worship and to give the blessing at lunchtime.

Victor Floyd led closing worship. The pretty much the entire service was sung, including the blessing of the bread and the wine. One of the pastors in attendance sang the verses, and the congregation sang the refrain. That wasn't the only time while I was at the conference that the entire community gathered blessed/consecrated the bread and wine. Monday night and Tuesday night Arris had all of us hold our our hands over the elements as he said the prayer of consecration. At this morning's worship there were three stations, each with a holder and two servers. The holders held a plate of bread and a small bowl of wine. As each person came forward to receive one of the servers would take a piece of bread, dip it in the wine, and place it in the person's mouth. Then the server would lay hands on the person and give a blessing and perhaps a prayer, if the person requested it. After the congregation had been served, the servers and holders served and blessed each other before gathering in a huddle to say a final prayer for themselves.

This is how they do Communion at Victor's Metropolitan Community Church congregation. The practice arose during the height of the AIDS epidemic when it might be the only time in a week when someone with AIDS was touched by another person. I don't think anyone refused the laying on of hands, though Victor said that if it made you uncomfortable to be touched, you didn't have to be, and the blessing would be said anyway.

I forgot to ask Victor where the sung prayer of consecration came from. If I can't find it, I can email him and ask him where to find it.

After lunch, one of the Episcopal folks who drove to the conference dropped me off at the Lakeside Inn where I caught the shuttle to the airport. It saved me a $15 cab fare and gave us a chance to spend a few more minutes in conversation. These personal connections have been the greatest part of attending this conference. We stopped for coffee at the Starbucks in the Safeway. Slot machines in the Safeway. Slot machines in the airport. Slot machines just about everywhere! Of the resort hotels that the shuttle stops at, the Lakeside Inn is the closest to the conference center, and it's the dingiest. I suppose if you're gambling... At least it was clean, and the restaurant had good food (I ate lunch there Sunday).

I have a three hour layover in Salt Lake City, so I'll get some dinner there before catching the red-eye home. Tomorrow counts as a travel day, and Friday will be a Sabbath day.

Peace,
Jeff

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to see that sung Eucharistic Prayer - we could use it! Actually, Prayer C is completely "through composed" but it's not particularly easy for the congregation. Still, that is the most participatory EP in the BCP. Maybe I should think of using it more often than just penitential seasons.

    ReplyDelete