Thursday, October 21, 2010

It's Official

This morning management sent an email to the Church Center staff announcing what they'd told me Tuesday afternoon. While I was shocked and am currently in the numb phase, it wasn't a total surprise given the state of finances across the church. Quite frankly, the primary reason I had the job of Children's Ministries Officer in the first place is because a previous director was dismantiling a colleague's job in hopes of forcing her out of the organization. And I was surprised to have survived the General Convention layoffs last year. So 16 additional months of employment was a good thing.

As I said, I'm still numb. Friends and colleagues have already begun the networking rally, for which I am truly grateful.

This is not the first time I have been laid off. In fact, except for one job, I've been laid off from every position I've held in the course of my professional life. If there's one thing I've learned, it's how to pick up the pieces and move on. And I know that it's not something you do alone. Please keep me in your prayers as I make my way through this transition.

= = = = = = = = = =

If you're interested, here's the official notice:

To: DFMS Employees

Subject: Changes in Formation and Vocation Ministries Team

Dear Colleagues,

We write to let you know of changes being made in the area of Formation and Vocation Ministries. As of January 2011, the work of the Office of Children’s Ministries, formed in 2008, will be reincorporated into current staffing positions and among networks and local entities. Though this decision reflects a mission strategy we believe will enhance the work of the Formation and Vocation Team, the hard consequence is that the position currently held by Jeff Harre as Children’s Ministries Officer will be eliminated.

Jeff came to the Episcopal Church Center in 2002 as the Program Assistant for Children’s Ministries and Christian Education. In 2008 he became the Associate Program Officer Trainee providing administrative oversight for the Evangelism and Congregational Life Center and in 2009 he was named Children’s Ministries Officer. Jeff has been a valuable colleague in the planning of Christian Education Conferences and the General Convention Children’s Programs. He has consulted with dioceses and congregations on issues related to Christian Education and currently sits on the board of the National Association for Episcopal Christian Education Directors.

At the Church Center Jeff has been a committed member of the chapel team and a regular leader at Morning Prayer.

Jeff will be in the office through mid December.

Please join us in thanking Jeff for his service to this community and the children’s formation network he has so ably served.

We wish him the best in all his future endeavors.

Faithfully,
Margaret and Toni

1 comment:

  1. Well, Jeff...there is life after 815. Actually, that's pretty much when life begins...

    ReplyDelete