Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Time for A Purge...

...but not today.

The Wednesday after they notified me my job was being eliminated I worked from home. Friends and coworkers who know me well will tell you that I have a lousy poker face. I needed the time and space to take in what is happening. I spent that Wednesday making lists. Once the announcement was out, I could start going through my office and sorting the accumulated stuff.

It's amazing just how much stuff accumulated over eight plus years.

Over the next few days I made and labeled piles of books, files, and resources for the Formation and Vocation Ministries Team members to go through. I made piles of things that I needed to bring home. So far I've brought home three tote bag of books, personal files, and personal items.

There's still a stack of books on my desk waiting to come home. And the two pictures and my EfM diploma are still hanging on the wall.

It's amazing just how much stuff accumulated over eight plus years.

Today I got tired of looking at tote bags and piles. I hadn't even completely unpacked the large tote bags I'd taken to Dance Camp last weekend. So I unpacked. I cleaned out the hallway bookcase and put the books from my office there--leaving space for what remains in my office. The files are now sitting in a basket for sorting. I don't know if I'll ever need most of this stuff again. After I lost my job at Pitney Bowes due to downsizing, I did much the same thing. The only things I still have from those six years are a favorite pen and a couple of business cards in a case with the others from my past jobs.

Each time I've been laid off--I've only left one job voluntarily in my entire adult professional life--I've gone on to something completely different. The accumulated books and files from the previous job eventually get donated and tossed. Skills are transferable. Stuff, not so much.

It's amazing just how much stuff accumulated over eight plus years.

It takes some creativity to find places for all this stuff in the 450 square feet of my apartment. Even before this happened I'd been thinking it was time for another apartment purge. When you live in a small space you need to do that from time to time. But given the current circumstances, now really isn't the time to be making those kinds of decisions.

I haven't even reached the angry stage yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment