Saturday, June 13, 2009

I Have A Purple Crayon

A couple of months ago several of us attended a writing workshop as part of the process of redesigning the Episcopal Church Center Program Groups' web pages. The instructors placed boxes of crayons on each table and asked each of us to choose one to use in marking up samples of the text on our current web pages. As the Associate Program Officer for Children's Formation, I chose the purple crayon from the box. My colleague Ruth-Ann caught the reference immediately.

I have been pondering Harold and his purple crayon since then. When Harold finds he needs something, he draws it. Once he draws it, he immerses himself in it, and sometimes it doesn't go as he planned. But he never stops drawing, never stops doing.

I want to be more like Harold. He creates, lives in that creation, and continues to engage that creation when it takes on a life of its own. What would it be like to live as Harold does?

What would it look like if a community chose to live as Harold does?

What if I could say:

I have a purple crayon, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Peace,
Jeff

2 comments:

  1. I purchased my copy of Harold today and as I read it, the moon became God for me. SO, if I have God AND I have a purple crayon there is not much that I cannot at least try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooohooo! Get me my purple crayon! How many purple crayons can we bring on Thursday to redraw - well, to redraw.

    ReplyDelete