Sunday, May 31, 2009

Odds And Ends

A few bits and pieces of stuff that struck me as I read through some of the blogs I regularly peruse.

They Also Serve Who Are Knuckleheads, by Heidi Shott in the Daily Epsicopalian section of Episcopal Cafe:
Can ministry be as simple as a couple of knuckleheads saying “yes” when asked serve and then letting the Holy Spirit do its mysterious thing? I’ve been mulling it over, and it seems the answer to that question is “yes.”
Failure of Formation by my friend and former colleague Jan Nunley on her Jawbones:
What astounds me about this is that anyone who has been ordained in a mainline denomination, with the preparation and education that entails...heck, that anyone born or naturalized as a citizen of this country...would not understand that--in these United States, at least--there is no obligation on clergy to perform any marriage ceremony. Period. Full stop. It's called The First Amendment.
Mark Harris is Rummaging Through The Blue Book (two posted so far) on Preludium:
In the run up to General Convention I am reviewing various resolutions coming up and would appreciate any thoughts from readers.
Grandmere Mimi, an online acquaintance I would like to get to know better, writes about a recent visit to WalMart on her Wounded Bird:
Oh yeah! I went to Walmart yesterday. You folks get to read about my every visit, because I seldom venture to the big box, and every trip is memorable. I'm close to phobic about going there. By his request, my grandson and I went to buy his birthday presents yesterday.
For those of you who don't read my mother's blog, go read The Peace of Grief:
It has been almost ten years since my mother's death. I think I am finally at peace with it and with her. Thanks be to God!

Dan Roam's new book Unfolding the Napkin is due out in January:
I structured the book as a complete four-day visual-thinking seminar, taking readers step-by-step from "I can't draw" to "Here is the picture I drew that I think will save the world."
And finally, a piece that is on all four of the blogs associated with my parish, which you can find on the parish web site:
Grace Episcopal Church is not closing anytime soon. If indeed Grace does close, it will leave a hole in the city of Norwalk, and it will do so not with a whimper but with a bang, preaching, learning and living the gospel for all to see, here at the corner of Union Park and Mott Avenue, one way or another, every day of the week.
Peace,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment