Monday, May 11, 2009

15 Years, 16 Months

I have pretty much absented myself from the blogosphere for the past two months. Not only have I written any posts, but I have not been reading the blogs I regularly follow. Early this evening, looking to see something more just news reports on the Anglican Consultative Council meeting in Jamaica, I perused some of my favorites. One of those is Episcopal Cafe, where I found this post titled "The Rev. Pookie."

Written by a father about his daughter and her ordination to the transitional diaconate, which took place last year, during her middler year of Seminary (something they do in the Diocese of Iowa). Both the writer, Howard Anderson, and his daughter, Kesha Brennom, are friends of mine, and I have worked with both of them in a number of different capacities in the Episcopal Church. Howard and I currently serve together on the board of directors of the National Association for Episcopal Christian Education Directors. Kesha served briefly as the Staff Officer for Children's Ministries and Christian Education at the Episcopal Church Center, in other words, she was my boss.

It seems hard to believe that the woman-child I sometimes had to coax out from under her desk will be ordained a priest later this year. Or that the friend who headed my discernment committee 13 years ago is now a parish priest in the Diocese of Washington. Or that the young man with whom I attended two years of Education for Ministry is now a vocational deacon in our diocese. Or that I have been on hold in the ordination process for 12 years this month.

Well, not entirely on hold, but it has been a long, long road, and will continue to be a long road no matter what the outcome. The road has been longer than it should have been in what many of us in the process--or have survived the process--see as an abusive one. And at what point does one say, "Enough!" and get out of an abusive situation? When do we shout, "the Emperor has no clothes!"? When does God answer us when we cry, "What are You thinking?"

So here I am filling out my second application for Postulancy as Kesha prepares for her ordination to the priesthood.

Sixteen months...

Peace,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment