Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Incoming!

This evening I needed to check a reference, which meant visiting that place I try not to visit if I can help it. Imagine my surprise at seeing The Episcopal Church Website: “Anglican Approach to Scripture” (count the errors) listed on their "News Etc." section. It seems Matt Kennedy, Calvanist par excellence and one of the chief scribes of that place, must have been perusing the Episcopal Church website and stumbled across the "Lesson Plans for Small Congregations" section. Either that or someone pointed him to it, and he went to take a look. He posted an excerpt from the article "Anglican Approach to Scripture" (you can see it in its original context here), along with a link, without any comment of his own. As any one of us--conservative or liberal, reasserter or reappraiser--could have predicted, and as was probably Matt's intention, the usual horde of commentors have been having their say in their usual snide manner.

The reason that particular post caught my eye is that the Lesson Plans for Small Congregations are produced by the department in which I work at the Episcopal Church Center. The lesson plans have been part of the web site since before I started working there six years ago, and that particular page on "Anglican Approach to Scripture" has been part of that section of the web site for at least three years. In fact, the full text of the publication from which that article was taken, Called to Teach And Learn, has also been up on the web site for the same amount of time. You can take a look at it here. It is not like we have been hiding it.

The Lesson Plans for Small Congregations are used in many churches of all sizes, including several in other denominations. That section of the Episcopal Church web site is the sixth most visited section of the site. I have a feeling it may see an increase in traffic for the next week or so, and maybe some new folks will find it helpful. Thanks, Matt, every bit of publicity helps get the word out there about this resource.

Peace,
Jeffri

2 comments:

  1. At least they are reading some actual Anglican stuff. I don't think that some of them even realize how far afield they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I struggle with the world, and figure out how to respond to it, I ask myself. 'Am I building or tearing down?'. And mind you, sometimes it is necessary to tear down. Thank you for being one who builds.

    LE

    ReplyDelete