Monday, November 5, 2007

This Is Not An Apology

Recently Greg Griffith of StandFirm misidentified as Bishop Barbara Harris a woman in clerical dress in a photo taken at an October 27th Anti-War demonstration in San Francisco. The original post and the resulting nasty comments (another example of the site's "witch hunt" mentality) can be found archived by Jake here. When it turned out that the woman was not Bishop Harris, Greg posted an apology in which he wrote:

Well, I really stepped in it this time, accusing Bishop Barbara Harris in another thread (now removed out of respect for her) of marching in an anti-war march in San Francisco wearing a Palestinian kaffiyeh as a stole. Turns out it's not her.

I allowed past shows of support of Yassir Arafat and the Palestinians by Bishop Harris, like this, to influence my thinking, so when I happened across a photo of a woman in vestments bearing more than a striking resemblance to The Rev. Harris, I leaped to a conclusion I shouldn't have.

I apologize and ask for her forgiveness. This was an instance of my bearing false witness, albeit inadvertently, and I am sorry. My apologies to Bishop Harris are offered without qualification.

Now compare this to what Greg wrote in response to another comment in the thread about Elizabeth Kaeton's comments regarding Anne Kennedy:, addressing another commentor, in regards to Elizabeth's apology:

d---------,
Kaeton’s ‘apology’ is not an apology, plain and simple. An apology is not “I’m sorry that what I wrote hurt you, but I was completely justified in writing it because blah blah blah...”

By Greg's own definition, his apology is not an apology.

I seriously thought about titling this post "Apology Not Accepted," but then Greg was not apologizing to me. Just as Elizabeth was not apologizing to him but to Anne. However, I do not think it is too much to expect that Greg follow his own guidelines for an apology.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment