Thursday, November 15, 2007

Quick Report From The Dominican Republic

I'm in the Dominican Republic to provide logistical and technical support for a workshop for writers from around Province IX of the Episcopal Church. They are writing a Spanish language Christian Education/Formation curriculum for all age levels for the province that comes from their own context rather than being a translation of something put together in the United States. We are meeting in the Dominican Republic because it is fairly easy to get to from the other eight dioceses of the province.

It has been an interesting experience for me because I have been operating in three languages: English, Spanish, and German. German is my second language, so when I start to struggle with my limited Spanish, my brain reverts to thinking in German. At that point I have to translate for myself back into English and then into Spanish. Generally I understand what I hear and read in Spanish, but I still have a lot of trouble speaking the language. Fortunately, we have three people who can translate.

Because our internet connection here has been unstable, I have not had much news of the tempest in a teapot that seems to be the Anglican Communion these days. Instead, in this meeting room we have been steeped in the work of the Church.

If I get a chance, I will write more before we leave. Otherwise, I'll be back in the States next week.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment