Friday, May 11, 2007

The Road To Lisdoonvarna

I took this picture during my first trip to Ireland seven years ago. We were actually on our way toward Ballyvaghan, but I couldn't resist taking a picture of the road sign because there is a fiddle tune titled "The Road to Lisdoonvarna." It's one I play on my flute and whistle, and it's a tune played for contra dances.

This afternoon I'm on my way to Woodstock, Connecticut for LCFD's Spring Dance Camp for a weekend of contra dancing, English country dancing and country-western two stepping, which I'll be doing for the first time at this camp. The contra dances will be called by one of my favorite callers, Linda Leslie, with music by one of my favorite bands, The Moving Violations.

Contra dancing is similar to square dancing--both are called--but contras are done in lines with your partner across from you (most of the time). Look at this video to see what a contra dance looks like.

Here is a video of a square dance for comparison. It's of an 8th grade class learning to square dance--memories of grade school gym class, anyone?

And just in case you're curious, go here to see a video of an English country dance. While we won't be in 18th century costume for English dancing, many of us will be wearing hats, gloves and pearls in a variety of combinations.

And here a packing update:

This is what I am taking to Dance Camp. I can go to Ireland for two weeks in a carry-on, but I fill the trunk of my car for a weekend Dance Camp. Bedding (because we are usually at summer camp-type facilities), skirts for dancing, at least three t-shirts per day (because dancing involves sweating!), wet weather gear, warm weather gear, cool weather gear, musical instruments, and more.


This is what I am taking to Ecuador. If we were not taking a bunch of resources down to the diocese, I could pack in a carry-on. In spite of all the books in the two suitcases, neither of them weighs more than 40 pounds, which is 10 pounds below the maximum bag weight before you get charged for overweight bags



I'll be back late Sunday afternoon to check mail, have dinner with Mom, exchange luggage and get some sleep before heading off to Ecuador Monday morning.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment