Monday, May 7, 2007

The Clutter Of Preparations

While the Anglican Communion implodes, there is still work to do. At the office I am rushing around trying to get the last details of our trip to Ecuador taken care of and ordering and collecting the last of the resources we will take down with us. Yesterday I had dinner with my mother and step-father. Since I was going, I asked if I could pick up Mom's large suitcase, because I do not have a large checkable bag for traveling--especially if I am taking all this additional stuff with me. She also said I could borrow her digital camera for the trip. Instead, I arrived to find that they had a late birthday present for me, a digital camera of my own. It was totally unexpected and something she didn't have to do. (You're the best, Mom!)

Usually, I try to leave my work at the office. Starting last week, however, that has been impossible as I bring stuff home to prepare for packing. My small room, which serves as my dining, dressing, and work room, is already cluttered with piles of things to be packed. Here is a picture I took with the new camera, with which I have a week to become familiar. What you cannot see is that there are actually two sets of piles, including some on the floor behind the table. Not only am I packing for Ecuador next week, but also for a recreational weekend away that was planned long before my boss thought about going to Ecuador.

Because my apartment is so small, it does not take much to make it look cluttered. Not making my bed in the morning means that the large room looks like a total mess. On the other hand, I can give the entire apartment (two small rooms, kitchen, and bathroom) a thorough cleaning in less than three hours. I plan on doing so Friday morning after everything is packed and before I head off upstate for my long weekend.

My desk at work looks less cluttered at the end of the day, primarily because most of the stacks that accumulate during the day get put in a rolling catalog case and carted home. If you were to stop by at lunchtime, you would find stacks of papers and books on all three sides of my cubicle. My coworkers have been ribbing me because of the unusual clutter.

Yes, my friends, this is what the conservatives in the Anglican Communion are afraid of: an openly gay Episcopalian man doing his job within the church structures. While I am passionate about the issues facing the Episcopal Church, and will continue to stay informed and express my views, there are times when I have more important things to do than worry about the likes of the Most Rev. Peter Akinola and the Rt. Rev. Martyn Minns playing "you're not welcome in my church." Pardon me, guys, I have to go organize this clutter and start packing.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment