Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Week That Was And Is

The past week has been one of emotional ups and downs, frustration and anger, hope and joy. Many of the responses to the Rainbow Presence brought home once again how deep the anger, fear, and loathing are on the part of many religious conservatives when it comes to the issue of lesbians and gays--let alone bisexuals and transgendered and transsexual folks--in the church. Not since my days in the Connecticut Coalition for Lesbian and Gay Civil Rights advocating for passage of civil rights legislation here in Connecticut have I been the direct target of such foul language, hate-filled speeches and threats of physical violence by people who call themselves Christians. Actually, let me just label it for what it is: verbal abuse.

Even many of my straight friends and acquaintances have questioned our choice of Easter Day for the Rainbow Presence. My reply is to simply state that among those of us who worked on the initial premise, Easter seemed to us a logical choice for a variety of reasons. Easter is, among other things, a celebration of the empty tomb, and let me tell you from personal experience, my sisters and brothers, the closet is a tomb. Jesus, through his resurrection, calls us from the places of death and into life. The life he calls us to is not plain and simple, neat and clean, nor black and white. There are no easy choices in this life, and all choices have consequences with which we must live. We chose Easter, and we are living with the consequences of that choice--both good and bad.

Sometimes I have to turn to a straight friend or acquaintance and say, "you just don't get it." There is no judgement in that statement, only an acknowledgement of the reality of both our lives. My friend Ann writes about this in her reflections on Lent 3 on her blog what the tide brings in. When you read her reflections, keep in mind that Ann has been an integral part of organizing the Rainbow Presence and has been a wonderful source of support for me personally.

And sometimes I have to take a deep breath and walk away for a while; to go off to a quiet place and pray--just me and God.

O God of peace, who taught us that in returning and rest we shall be saved, in quietness and in confidence shall be our strength: By the might of your Spirit lift us, we pray, to your presence, where we may be still and know that you are God; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (BCP, p. 832)

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment