Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Prayer Break

Opening Prayer
As we journey toward the feast of the Resurrection, be with us in the name of the Creator, and of the Redeemer, and of the Sustainer.
(“Lenten Service II,” The Blessing Cup, Saint Anthony Messenger Press, 2002, p. 62.)

Call: Out of the depths I have cried to You.
Response: O God, hear my voice.
Call: With my whole heart I want to praise You.
Response: O God, hear my voice.
Call: If you, O God, should mark iniquities:
Response: Who could stand? Who could stand?
(“Evening Prayer,” Celtic Daily Prayer, HarperCollins, 2002, p. 22.)

A Reading
When Hathach told Mordecai what Esther had said, Mordecai sent her this message: "Don't think that just because you live in the king's house you're the one Jew who will get out of this alive. If you persist in staying silent at a time like this, help and deliverance will arrive for the Jews from someplace else, but you and your family will be wiped out. Who knows? Maybe you were made queen for just such a time as this." Esther 4:12-14

Reflection
We, the Church of this Jesus Christ, must beware that we don’t set up barriers separating and dividing people into those who are inside and those who are outside. We are not God and don’t know who is going to heaven and who to hell. Only God knows that… Our business should be to respond to the love of God, to become more and more like God, who lets his sun shine on all and his rain fall for all. We must be Christ-like, compassionate and open, inviting all to come to Christ by the beauty and attractiveness of our lives. --Desmond Tutu
("Sermon at Saint Aidan's, Landsdowne," The Wisdom of Desmond Tutu, Westminster John Knox Press, 1998, p. 42.)

Prayers

Sustainer God, I am tired of this fight. I am tired of demanding a place at Your table, a voice in the pulpit, a seat in the pew. I wonder if there are any more words to say what has been said by so many, for so long. I wonder if there are any more ways of showing how destructive it is and what it means to be included out. I wonder if it is in me to continue. It matters and so, with your help, I will carry on. Guide my words and actions and may they honor you. I ask for strength in the struggle and your presence with me on this journey. Amen.
(Lesley Brogan, from Shaping Sanctuary, Reconciling Congregation Program, 2000, p. 131.)

Lord Jesus Christ, you stretched out your arms of love on the hard wood of the cross that everyone might come within the reach of your saving embrace: So clothe us in your Spirit that we, reaching forth our hands in love, may bring those who do not know you to the knowledge and love of you; for the honor of your Name. Amen.
(Book of Common Prayer, p. 101.)

Blessing
See that you are at peace among yourselves, my children, and love one another. Follow the example of good people of old and God will comfort you and help you, both in this world and in the world which is to come. In the name of God, Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer. Amen.
(“Evening Prayer,” Celtic Daily Prayer, HarperCollins, 2002, p. 25.)



No comments:

Post a Comment