Monday, March 5, 2007

Seeing Rainbows

A little over a week ago conversation on one of my email lists ticked me off, and I wrote:

Yes, ________ is where we come to vent. But our differences of opinion can sometimes sound like those of the primates flinging vitriol at each other. It is sometimes painful to read the debates amongst ourselves--AND WE ARE ON THE SAME SIDE.

We also have an amazing tendency to savage our leaders when they make what we perceive to be a misstep--and not just in Integrity. That plays no small role in why the conservatives have been able to do what they have done to the church (and not just the Episcopal Church/Anglican Communion).

Venting and debating amongst ourselves is one thing. But only if it leads to constructive action on our part. What are WE going to do next? I've seen some talk here of planning something for Easter. Of course, there were immediate criticisms that there are so many lgb folks in "comfortable places," and they would not participate. So? THEY are not here. What are WE going to do? Large movements have started with the workings of smaller groups than ___________. What are WE willing to do besides sit and bitch at each other?

I am planning on being more visible. This week I dug out one of my pink triangle pins and have been wearing it to work. Which means I've had it on where Katharine Jefferts Schori has seen me and seen it. (If you're going to ask me to shoulder the burden of staying together--and I'm not sure that's what Katharine is necessarily asking based on her comments at the meeting yesterday--then you're going to know who I am.) I am working on something "rainbow" to wear on Easter Sunday, along with some sort of"handout" to give to folks who ask about it. I am talking to other lgbt Episcopalians in my area to see if they are willing to participate as well. If there was some sort of more "national" visibility planned for that day, along with pre-publicity, it might make more impact. However, I plan on following through on this alone if I have to.

After sending that email, I turned off the computer, took writing material, and headed off to the Barnes & Noble in Westport. I settled with a cup of coffee at a table in the cafe and started writing a draft "handout." When I felt I had a workable draft, I put the papers away and went to go find something entertaining to read for a couple of hours.

That evening I returned home and emailed the list that I had written a draft statement and was willing to share it with anyone who was interested. A small handful of people responded, and together we reworked my draft. Here is what we wrote:

================================================

Rainbow Presence Declaration

March 5, 2007

But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love, will enter your house, I will bow down toward your holy temple in awe of you. Psalm 5:7

To our sisters and brothers in the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion:

In their Communiqué of February 19, 2007, the Primates of the Anglican Communion laid out steps to be taken by the Episcopal Church, specifically by the House of Bishops, by September 30, 2007. As lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender members of the Episcopal Church and heterosexual supporters of full and equal participation for lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender people in the church, we do not agree as to the course of action the Episcopal Church should take in response to the Primates’ Communiqué.

We agree that:

  • The Episcopal Church must understand what is being asked of it—especially in terms of its lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender members.
  • The Episcopal Church needs to know who its lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender members are in order to know who is being asked to pay the price of unity in the Anglican Communion.
  • Until lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender members of the Episcopal Church have full and equal access to all the sacraments and rites of the church, lesbians/gays/bisexuals/transgendered people are essentially second-class members of the Episcopal Church.


We acknowledge that:

  • No matter what course of action the Episcopal Church decides to take, faithful Episcopalians will feel it necessary to leave the Episcopal Church.
  • Some of us may be among those who leave the Episcopal Church.
  • There are lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender people who live in places where making themselves visible is unsafe and even life threatening.

We affirm the presence in the church of our lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender sisters and brothers who preceded us, giving of themselves and their gifts while remaining invisible as lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender people.

Therefore, on Easter Sunday we (lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender and all allies) will be present in our churches and make ourselves visibly known to our fellow parishioners, clergy, bishops, and leadership through the wearing of rainbow sashes, stoles, hats, buttons, and other articles of clothing and accessories.

================================================

We started circulating the Declaration early this evening, and in less five hours it is already popping up here and there in the blogosphere. People want a press release, links to information, etc., etc., etc. And so we set up a blog for the Rainbow Presence and created an email account (rainbopres@yahoo.com). We are in the process of having a logo designed.

It is not even Easter, and I am already seeing rainbows in the Episcopal Church as well as the Anglican Church in Canada.

Peace,
Jeffri

1 comment:

  1. Jeff,
    I have been handing out Rainbow Presence items at my parish here in Albany NY.. We just started a small group fro glbt and allies at our parish. I had to order more buttons and will be doing something similar to you for Easter!! Keep up the good work on the blog!!
    Rich Angelo

    ReplyDelete