Thursday, February 22, 2007

Prayer Break

One of the nice things about working at the Church Center is the number of opportunities for worship throughout the week. We can participate in Morning Prayer at 8:45 a.m. and in the Eucharist at 12:10 p.m. I do not always go, but it is nice that the opportunity is there.

Today I felt the need to attend Eucharist, so I went downstairs to the chapel at noontime. Given the events of the past week, quiet contemplation was not easy. During the time before the service and also just after receiving communion, it was all I could do to sit and breathe.

Breathe in: "Be at peace."

Breathe out: "Be with God."

Breathe in: "Be at peace."

Breathe out: "Be with God."

Over and over again. At least it provided me with enough calm and centering to get through the rest of the day at work.

I also keep a small set of wooden Anglican Prayer Beads with me almost all the time. Often they serve as worry beads, but I do use them for prayer regularly. In fact, they are so well used that I restring them regularly. And now that it is Lent, I find myself returning to a set of prayers for the beads that are a combination of the Trisagion ("Holy God, Holy and Mighty, Holy Immortal One, Have mercy upon us.") and the Jesus Prayer ("Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."). I do not remember where I found it originally, and I have a feeling that I have changed it here and there as I have prayed it over the years. Here it is:

On the Cross: In the Name of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

On the Invitatory Bead: Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.

On the Cruciform Beads: Holy God, Holy and Mighty, Holy Immortal One, Have mercy upon me (us).

On the First Set of Week Beads: Jesus Lamb of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

On the Second Set of Week Beads: Jesus Lamb of God, have mercy on your people.

On the Third Set of Week Beads: Jesus Lamb of God, I give you thanks and praise.

On the Fourth Set of Week Beads: Jesus Lamb of God, I offer you myself.

On the Invitatory Bead in Closing: The Lord’s Prayer

On the Cross in Closing: Thanks be to God. Amen.

If you want to know more, here is a web page that gives a good overview of Anglican Prayer Beads/Rosaries.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment