Monday, February 26, 2007

Of Pain and Reflection

The last few days have been painful. Anger, frustration, sadness, and much more fill the posts on my Episcopal/Anglican related email lists and blogs I read regularly. When Katharine spoke to the staff at the Episcopal Church Center last Friday, she said a couple of times in reference to the ultimatum from the primates, “We don’t need to decide now.”

Pause...

Time…

Reflect...

Reflection can be dangerous. It can lead to new, unexpected and scary places. Like thoughts of leaving the Episcopal Church. No matter what happens over the next seven months and at the September House of Bishops meeting, people will leave the Episcopal Church. Many have already left. More are leaving now. Some have left not only the church behind, but their Christian faith as well.

The song running through my head for most of today has been “Anatevka” from Fiddler on the Roof. If the House of Bishops submits to the primates’ ultimatum, and the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender members of the Episcopal Church are again asked to be the price of unity in the Anglican Communion, then perhaps that will be our equivalent of “the edict from the Tsar.” And many of us will leave. We’ll have to wait for justice (while fighting for it) someplace else.

Will I leave?

I don’t know.

I don’t have to decide today…

Peace,
Jeffri

1 comment:

  1. "I don't have to decide today..." But, clearly, some decision has to be made. At least that's where I am.

    Thanks for sharing this. Cool blog.
    Linda McMillan
    Austin

    ReplyDelete