Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Yankee Walks

It will probably surprise many of you that at one point in my life I ran five miles a day three to five times a week. One summer while visiting my grandparents in Chicago I went for my morning run along Lake Michigan. I ran two-and-a-half miles along the lake shore and then turned to head back. About halfway back I stopped and looked around. While I enjoyed being outside, I really didn't like running. I pretty much stopped running on a regular basis and after a couple of years gave it up altogether.

It does not surprise anyone that I am overweight. I have fought that battle for most of my life. I managed to reach a point where I stayed under the maximum weight I'd ever hit. Every once in a while I lowered that top number, but eventually I reached a plateau that lasted for a long time. When I moved to Seminary I made some serious decisions about my eating habits, especially since part of my package includes the same meal plan as the students have. Mostly through portion control (including rarely going for seconds) I avoided the so-called freshman 15. In fact I lost some weight and kept it off. In the past couple of months I've become a lot more deliberate about what I eat, including a drastic cutback in the amount of gluten in my food.

But it takes more than just watching food. It has helped that my office is across campus from most of the rest of the administrative offices. However, I started to walk after work and on the weekends because I needed some form of regular exercise. I began with shorter distances on campus and then increased the distance over time. I now walk what is essentially a 5K three or four times a week. I doubt very strongly I will be running a 5K in the near future, if at all. Never say never, but I'm also not 25 any more.

It helps to be surrounded by supportive people. The Seminary community includes marathon runners, triathletes, budding fitness trainers, and those just serious about their health and fitness. You can always find someone to answer a question about nutrition, types of diets, types of activities, or just about anything else. The first time I walked the complete perimeter of the combined Seminary and Episcopal High campuses, the equivalent of a 5K, these folks celebrated with me.

So I will continue to walk because it's good for me, and because I enjoy it.

Well maybe not when it rains...

1 comment:

  1. I am SOOOO proud of you, Jeff. You are truly an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete