Monday, March 25, 2013

The Yankee in Springtime?

The Weather Channel models called for 3"-7" of snow. Of course, we know that they like to have winter storms that they can name. Local forecasters figured it would be more like 1"-3". Not many people paid much attention to any of them figuring it would be another bust in the DC/Northern Virginia area. Most severe weather seems to have been going north or south of us or petered out before it reached us. So while we had some flurries and snow showers last evening, no one really paid attention to the weather reports. This morning I woke up and looked out the window to find this.

A few days into Spring, and we have the most snow since I moved down here. I even put on my snow boots for the first time. At this time last year it was considerably warmer, flowers were blooming, and the trees were further along. By the middle of April the roses had started blooming. That could happen again this year. The roses were still blooming in December.

We haven't had a lot of snow here this winter. However, I'm not entirely sure what's usual winter weather around this part of the world. It certainly wasn't much for this transplanted Yankee. Oh, we had our cold spells, but I very rarely had to bundle up. Several members of the Seminary community commented that when they saw me in a winter coat with a hat and gloves on they knew it was cold! That will probably change the longer I stay here.

In other ways it really is spring. Moving down to Alexandria and taking this job continues to be a positive experience. I find myself opening up again--to new people, to new experiences, to being a whole person. Every time I post a picture on Facebook, many of my friends comment on how great I look. The transplant is blooming.

1 comment:

  1. "The transplant is blooming." All a mother can ever hope and pray for. Thank you, God, for this blessing!

    ReplyDelete