Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Great Merger

Some of you may have noticed the sudden increase in the number of posts on this blog. I didn't spend the past couple of days writing over 600 entries. They came from two other blogs I've had over the last six years. For the past few days I've been pondering merging them into this one. Having two active blogs reached a point where I wasn't posting very much on either. What should I write for one? Or the other? What kinds of post should go on which one? So I stopped posting regularly.

Each blog has served a different purpose. I started my first one, Telling Beads, in January 2007. For the most part it revolved around my observations about the Episcopal Church, the Anglican Communion, and my work at the Episcopal Church Center. After a couple of years I ended up making it an invitation only blog because of my job. It served primarily as a way for me to stay in touch with family and friends. I'm Fluting as Fast as I Can came into being shortly after I attended the National Flute Association Annual Convention in August 2009. I quickly realized that there was only so much I could write about as an amateur flutist, so it became a place for me to write general observations.

So why start a third one? It seemed like an opportune time. I moved to a new area of the country for the first time in my life. The title came to me during the packing up of my apartment in Norwalk and seemed like it would be a fun way of talking about my new life south of the Mason Dixon Line. It is, and it isn't. However, the title seems much more flexible and portable than either of the other two, so why not just have one blog? And why not have all the posts in one place?

Somewhat easier said than done. Because Telling Beads was an invite only blog, it meant going through all of its posts and deleting some of them from the merged blog. Certain things just weren't meant for public consumption.

Yesterday I wrote
Memory is a funny thing. Sometimes I look through the journals I've been keeping off and on for more than 40 years, and I find that how I saw something when I was in the midst of it is very different from how I see it now. Or remember it.
It was interesting going through the old blog posts. There was a period of time when I tried to put a positive spin on what was, and continued to be for a long time, a bad situation. Some of you who were readers of that blog will remember that period of time, and you will probably have an idea of what's missing. I think you'll agree with me that those posts are better left private.

Looking through the over 760 posts now on this blog I can see the changes in my thoughts about blogging and what to blog about. That will continue to evolve.

Over the next couple of days I'll be working on the format of the blog--bringing over the list of Blogs I Read and maybe adding some other things. That, too ,will continue to evolve.

I look forward to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment