Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Yankee Celebrates St. Nicholas Day

Early in Advent the Church celebrates the Feast of St. Nicholas of Myra. It's also the day I decorate my home for the Christmas season. I run the risk of drawing the wrath of the Advent Police for calling any portion of December before Christmas Day the Christmas Season. So be it. The date of Christmas is highly suspect to begin with, and most of our holiday traditions predate the appearance of Christianity. In the dark days at the end of the year, we can all use some brightness. This evening that included playing Christmas music and lighting a pine scented candle while I decorated. It brings back memories of childhood when we'd spend one weekend in the middle of December baking Christmas cookies and decorating the house. Although we didn't put the tree up until much closer to Christmas Eve, and most of the time on Christmas Eve itself.

The stockings are hung by the chimney with care. This is another tradition that comes from St. Nicholas Day celebrations. In Germany and the Netherlands children put their shoes out to be filled with treats by St. Nicholas. Or coal for those who did not behave throughout the year. The red one is nearly 30 years old. It is one of two I made for Brian's and my first Christmas together. I made one for each of my brother's children for their first Christmas and also for him and his wife when he asked a few years ago. The green one, which I also made, is probably 15 years old. It's the one I often take with me to my brother's when I spend Christmas with his family.

I also put up my collection of nativities--all 16 of them with baby Jesuses and Wise Men on full display. Some of them are constructed so that everything is part of a whole that can't be separated. The retablos from South America are prime examples of this. I hung one of the retablos on a wall in the entry area of the apartment and will probably leave it up when the rest of the nativities get put away. It is a nice work of art and fits nicely on that wall. I added two new ones to the collection this year. The first is a Celtic style nativity that I find intriguing.

I say Celtic style because it was manufactured in China. It is hard to avoid products made in China. Many people complain about that and how Chinese manufacturing takes jobs away from hard working folks in the United States. But I don't remember a time when a lot of what we bought wasn't manufactured overseas. For a long time it was Made in Japan and Made in Taiwan. Our economy has larger problems than things made overseas and sold here.

This one comes from Vietnam and is made from paper. Forty years ago Vietnam evoked an entirely different set of thoughts and emotions steeped in news reports from a war torn and divided country. But that's a blog for another time.

For now I'll sip my glass of egg nog and enjoy my decorated apartment.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting article boobula. Say would you please email me your address? I have to keep tabs on you. By the way, I think your moving to Alexandria was very brave. Leaving all you know to head for the unknown is commendable. Lots of love to you. Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .... and there is still the St Nicholas collection to be added in. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, there are a couple of St. Nicks on the tree and around the house. However, most of them I left boxed up. Maybe next year I'll get a bigger tree so I can hang more of the collection.

      Delete
  4. I was away yesterday overnight so Miss Pink Flamingo, who resides on the railing on the front of the rectory porch, had to wait until today to change her seasonal outfit from Puritan Turkey to Santa Claus. She feels muuuuuch better - and safer! - now.

    ReplyDelete