Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Yankee Hangs Pictures

Saturday I ran errands. Of my long list, I managed to pick up three things: two candles and a picture hanging tool. Everything else was either out of stock or not quite what I wanted. I guess three things wasn't a totally unsuccessful afternoon. For one thing, it meant I could finally hang my pictures.

I'd seen the InstaHang advertised on TV, and I briefly looked at it weeks ago at Bed Bath and Beyond. It wasn't outrageously expensive, so I picked it up. It works! At least it works on wallboard and studs. It doesn't work so well on concrete, which comprises a significant portion of my available wall space. I'll need to talk to the facilities folks on campus when it comes time to hang pictures there. When I have pictures to hang.

I don't have much in terms of photos and such to hang: a portrait of my parents, one of my brother's kids, two pictures from my summer in Germany, a photo of the ship of my first Windjammer cruise, my Education for Ministry certificate, and two unframed, signed Jamie Hayes prints. It took less than 30 minutes to hang the five photos and the certificate--the ship and the certificate in my office and the rest in my entry area. I know just where I want to hang the prints, but they need frames first. I also want to find one of the Monet Rouen Cathedral prints for the living room.

Why did it take over six months to hang pictures? In part I didn't, and still don't, have a clear concept for my living room. It also means a commitment to a place. Putting holes in the wall makes a statement about intention, "I'm going to be here for a while." I moved into my last apartment intending only to stay a short while and ended up living there for over seven years. I never hung anything on the walls. In fact, I didn't hang anything on the walls of my two apartments before that one. Neither of them was meant to be long-term either.

Putting holes in the wall seems a bit like putting down roots. Seems? Can you see the hesitation? I came down here to take a new job. Six months in, I'm still learning the job as it is and as it will be, but it's starting to feel less... well, less temporary. Now that I'm beginning to get the job under my belt, it's time to be more intentional about getting out to build my new community and opening my home to my new community.

I guess it's time to put more holes in the wall.

1 comment: