Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Visit to Hope United Church of Christ

I was not always an Episcopalian. My brother and I were baptized in the Episcopal Church, but my parents left the church for various reasons when we were very young. We grew up unchurched. I found my my own way to a church community during college. Rockford College, founded by the Congregational Church in 1847, has a UCC chaplain even though it is no longer affiliated with the denomination. When I went to grad school in Madison, Wisconsin, I joined First Congregational Church and remained a nominal UCC member after returning to Connecticut. I visited a few UCC churches but never found one that met my needs at that point in my life. Eventually I visited Grace at the invitation of a friend and rather quickly became an active member.

Since moving to Alexandria I've visited a number of the many Episcopal Churches in the city and the surrounding area. In the three-and-a-half months I've been here, I'd not seen a United Church of Christ church during my explorations. So this weekend I decided to see if I could locate one. The Internet is a wonderful thing, and I quickly found Hope United Church of Christ, which is a short drive south.

I arrived about 15 minutes before the service and found a parking lot in need of care and a church that looked like a large concrete box. However, the greeting at the door was warm, and I ended up with children's name tag because they couldn't find the regular visitors' tags. As the former Children's Ministries Officer, that worked for me. I entered the sanctuary to find lots of wood and movable pews. I was particularly struck the baptismal font that stood to one side of the table. A wood base served as a table for a white ceramic bowl and pitcher. I also saw a Pascal Candle standing in one corner.

By the time the 10:30 service started the sanctuary, which looks like it would hold about 100 worshippers, was about half full, including a dozen children. I was among the older people there; a very different experience than the churches I've visited so far. On the other hand, like all of the churches I've visited so far the congregation was overwhelmingly white. The church also lists itself as a "God is Still Speaking" and "Open and Affirming" church, so there was no doubt that I would be welcome there.

Their pastor is on vacation, so the Christian Education Minister led the service, which was preceded by the announcements. As today was the second Sunday of the month, the worship was what Episcopalians know as the Service of the Word. Communion takes place only on the first Sunday of the month. While all the elements are there, the order was a little different: the Call to Worship (Opening Sentences), a hymn, Prayer of Confession, Words of Assurance, Passing of the Peace, Proclaiming the Good News, Offering, Prayers, a final hymn, and finally the Benediction. The Children's Message, although based on the Gospel reading, came before the scripture readings. When it was done, the children went to Sunday School, and the adults remained for readings from the Gospel and the Epistle for the day. Another lay person gave the sermon.

The prayers were titled "Responding with Prayers, Actions, and Hopes", and were very much prayers of the people. Beginning with Joys and moving on to Concerns, people raised their hands, called on by the leader, and spoke briefly about their thanksgiving or request for prayers. The congregation was much more involved in the worship at Hope than in some of the UCC churches I've visited over the past few years. I found it interesting that this congregation uses the "trespasses" version of the Lord's Prayer, though the leader announces that everyone should pray in their own way.

In spite of the fact that they began the Lord's Prayer with "Our Father", this congregation has fully embraced the inclusive language movement. They use The New Century Hymnal along with a supplementary hymnal, which is in a notebook. So while the hymn tunes were familiar, I stumbled a bit over the unfamiliar, if greatly appreciated, wording.

The congregation also takes hospitality seriously. There were two other visitors in addition to me. I'm sure the other two also received personal invitations to join the meal (coffee hour) after the service, as all three of us went. People greeted us and engaged us in conversation, but no one pried or was pushy about possibly joining. They rate right up there with St. Clement's in terms of being a welcoming church.

Occasionally I feel the pull to revisit the UCC. First Congregational Church Madison, Wisconsin, or probably more accurately my memory of it, is pretty much the standard by which I judge other congregations of any denomination. But in terms of liturgy and most theology, I really am at home in the Episcopal Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment