Wednesday, August 1, 2012

90 Days

It is hard to believe that six months ago this wasn't even a blip on my radar screen. Less than five months ago I had my first interview, and during the 40 days between acceptance and start date I packed up everything and moved south.

When the job hunt process started almost two years ago I said relocation was an option. South, however, was not a direction that crossed my mind. I pictured Boston, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, and even Spokane (although Spokane probably would have meant major culture shock). But here I am in Alexandria, VA. From the shadow of New York City to the shadow of Washington, DC.

In some ways living in the shadow of Washington, DC, isn't much different from living in the shadow of New York City. District events dominate the news. Most important social and cultural events appear to take place in the District. Large numbers of people commute into the District for work.

I, on the other hand, have the the shortest commute of my professional life. For the first four weeks I made a two minute walk across campus from the temporary guest house. Now it's 35 steps from the front door of my apartment to my office door. Because my colleagues all work in different buildings, I walk much more than I did for any other job.

So here I am having completed my first 90 days as the Hospitality and Guest Residence Manager for Virginia Theological Seminary. I had a good review, and I feel like I'm making a positive contribution. I'm taking the first steps in building an expanded professional network that reflects this new job. I have friends that check in to make sure that I get off campus.

Having friends living in this area made the decision to move to Alexandria easier. But along with my professional network, I'm having to build a new social network, which is probably the more difficult process. Not to mention finding a new church. It's not going to happen overnight, but eventually this will start to feel like home.

And for 90 days in, I think I've made a good start.

2 comments:

  1. a better than good start -- an excellent start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. Just returned from a clergy day on the economy, corporatocracy, and the church, and on GC1012. The bishop will not be policing re to whom we give communion. Bp. Laura also hopes we'll be as radically excited about inviting people to baptism as we are to the table.
    AND, the bishops will send a letter tomorrow saying that as of Advent 1 we may bless same sex marriages, AND we may sign marriage licenses for ALL couples. But that's not out yet - not until we receive the letter coming out tomorrow.
    Alex Dyer says it's okay - still only one step but it's okay. He know others will stand on his shoulders to move things further.
    I really miss you! AND I am so very happy for you where you are.

    ReplyDelete