Monday, April 26, 2010

Progress

Since I started working my way through the Rubank Advanced Method for Flute exercises I've found that in some ways they have been more helpful than the Taffanel-Gaubert 17 Exercises. For one thing the Rubank tells me what keys I'm working on. I finally can see the differences between the different variations of minor keys (natural, harmonic, and melodic). I can often recognize which kind is being used in the music I'm playing. And I haven't even reached that topic in my music theory reading. This will make a difference when I return to the Taffanel-Gaubert.

As many of you know, a couple of months ago my office was moved from the fifth floor to the second. As a result, I almost never use the elevator anymore to get to my office on Two or my colleagues offices on Five. Even though it's only been two months I'm noticing improvement in my stamina. I'm developing leg muscles again--and not a marching band in sight!

My cold followed by the bout of diverticulitis postponed playing the Bach piece at church, but the music director says we can fit it in almost any Sunday once I feel ready to play it. Which shouldn't be very long now.

Lots of small steps add up to some real progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment