Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Let's Start at The Very Beginning

I spent two-and-a-half days in bed with a head cold, and today I'm still not healthy enough to practice. Playing the flute sets me coughing. Using as straw to work on my airstream sets me to coughing. Frustrating, but I still managed to do put in some "flute" time.

During my time in bed, I picked up Music Theory for Dummies, which I received for Christmas. As with all the Dummies books, it's written in short sections, which were perfect for short periods between naps. I resisted the temptation to skip the first sections and go right to the stuff I know little or nothing about. I'm now in the middle of Chapter Six, "Tempo and Dynamics," the last section of Part I, "Rhythm: Keeping the Beat." Still stuff I'm familiar with.

Eventually, I'll get to new material. Usually it's a good idea to start at the beginning, even if the first part is a review of things you already know. I also plan on supplementing my reading with some lectures from iTunes U. Even then, it will only be basics of music theory I'll have gotten under my belt. At this point, that's probably all I really need to know.

Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment