Sunday, November 2, 2008

Point-And-Click Eucharist

On Friday I picked up this week's copy of Newsweek at a newsstand in Grand Central Terminal to read on the train home. Some weeks I pick up Time. As I started to peruse the issue, I was stopped by the title "Click in Remembrance of Me," with a picture of a priest holding up a communion wafer as if before an altar. The focus of the article is "communion on line," and it highlighted one web site.

The Rev. Thomas Madron's holycommunionontheweb.com features a service that can be done at any time.

The other celebrant named in the article was Zeph Daniel. I googled him and looked at his pates. I thought they were just plain weird. Nor was his site the only one I found that I thought was weird.

That doesn't mean I don't think there might be some merit to exploring the concept. Nor will it be the only blending of ceremony and technology that our culture looks at, if Phyllis Tickle's concept of the church re-forming itself has validity, which I think it does. More about that when I've finished reading her The Great Emergence.

In the meantime, go take a look for yourself.

Peace,
Jeff

1 comment:

  1. Placement of the "Oz" photoshop goes both ways, election and virtual communion! Thanks for posting these, Jeff. I actually am intrigued by the Methodist communion site. He's thought this out.

    Now, how about Compline online: chanted. I think it can be done. Maybe it already is!

    ReplyDelete