Monday, July 7, 2008

Bible Study With The Bishops: Feed My Sheep

Reading Plan Text for July 7: John 21:15-19

Peter's roller coaster ride continues. After the Disciples' earlier encounters with the risen Jesus, Peter needs something familiar and comforting--fishing. His joy and excitement at seeing Jesus once more is evident by the way he jumps into the water and swims ashore ahead of the others in the boat. Yet after breakfast, things take a serious turn.

Jesus takes Peter aside and asks, "Do you love me more than these?" This cannot be an easy question for Peter to hear, especially after his denial of Jesus just a few days ago. In fact, Jesus asks this question three times, just as Peter denied him three times. It is obvious that these questions are more for Peter's sake than for Jesus'. Peter needs to know that following Jesus from now on will only get more difficult and more dangerous. In fact, it will be the cause of Peter's death in Rome.

But it is Jesus' responses to Peter's answers that stand out for me.
Feed my lambs. (21:15)
Tend my sheep. (21:16)
Feed my sheep.
(21:17)
Today these three short commands to Peter make me wonder if I'm doing enough. What else should I be doing? Will I ever feel like I'm doing enough? Or will there always be that "one more thing" I feel like I ought to be doing?

The only answers I'm likely to find can only come through prayer and continued action.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment