Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Yankee Entertains

I have a social life. Honest, I do. But it's taken 5 1/2 months for me to have my first guests to dinner at my place.

As most of you know, and have heard many times, my previous apartment was less than 500 square feet. It wasn't impossible to entertain there, but it the apartment wasn't really set up to have people over for dinner, let alone a party. I hadn't originally planned to be there as long as I was, or I would have thought about the furniture and layout differently. Two people were about as many as I could have over at one time, so I almost never entertained.

My current apartment doubled my living space. My living room and bedroom are two separate rooms! I have an eat-in kitchen that makes it possible to have people in there with me while I cook. I can actually have more than two people over for dinner!

My first guests were Lisa and Tricia. Lisa is primarily responsible for my being at the Seminary, and I love the fact she lives less than a five minute walk away. And while they're not the first to see my apartment, they were my first dinner guests. I got to try a recipe for black bean soup that I've been wanting to do for a while. I enjoy cooking, but cooking for one often seems like a waste of time and energy. For the same amount of effort I can prepare a meal for two, four, or six! The soup didn't take that long to prepare, and it we all enjoyed it. Lisa and Tricia brought gluten-free bread that complimented the soup perfectly.

Conversation flowed from work to homes to parents and beyond. It was a pleasant evening with friends that made for a nice break in the busyness we've all been experiencing for the past couple of weeks.

Time for a party at my house!

Well maybe I'll start with four or five folks...

1 comment: