Monday, September 10, 2012

The Yankee Experiences Virginia Weather

Yesterday and today we've had our first taste of Fall weather, even though Fall doesn't officially start for another few days. After the past weeks of hot temperatures and high humidity it is a relief. It did not, however, come without cost.

Fortunately, I had the TV on Saturday afternoon while I puttering around the apartment taking care of chores. Shortly before 4:00 an Emergency Alert interrupted whatever was showing. I paused to see what it was for what areas. It wasn't the thunderstorm I could hear coming in rapidly from the west. It was a tornado warning of the seek immediate shelter kind. Having been raised by a mother who grew up in the Midwest and gone to colleges in the Midwest, I knew what to do without hesitation. I grabbed my flashlight/radio, cell phone, wallet, list of who's in the Guest Houses, and keys and headed for the bathroom in my office--ground floor with no exterior walls. I glanced out the office window as I headed into the bathroom and saw the rain start to go horizontal, which is never a good sign. Later I learned that the proctors moved students into the basements of the dorms while I was headed into my office.

The all clear came about 15 or 20 minutes later. Other than the funnel cloud sighted to the west of us, we had no tornado. Even where there had been one, there appears to have been no serious damage. There were lots of branches down, and the power was out. Shades of June's Derecho. Fortunately, the power came back on after a couple of hours.

As we've shared stories over the past couple of days, locals have said this is just part of weather in Virginia. Hurricanes, thunderstorms, tornadoes, and the occasional snowstorm. Fewer snowstorms than back home, but probably more hurricanes.

And let's not forget about earthquakes.

Nature happens. There isn't anything do do but be prepared. I know where to shelter. I know what to grab depending on how much time I have. I keep a shelf in the kitchen stocked with food that doesn't need to be cooked.

So the violent weather front passed through, and we're experiencing cooler temperatures and clear skies. Yesterday afternoon and this evening I opened my windows. It feels wonderful having fresh air in the apartment. I should sleep well tonight.

1 comment:

  1. A couple of candles and a book might have been nice. Fifteen minutes can b a longa time just waiting for bad stuff to not happen.

    ReplyDelete