Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Mom and The Solar Oven

I've often told stories about Mom wanting to know about something and then heading off to the local library to find every book she could on the topic. I'm sure family members can tell similar stories about me. Now of course, we all turn to the Internet.

Solar energy was a big topic in the late 60's and early 70's. Mom was intrigued by the thought of cooking using solar energy. She found information about making a solar oven. I remember paper patterns, thick Styrofoam, cardboard, and aluminum foil. I don't remember if she ever got it to work. I tried again a couple of years later for a 9th grade science project. I don't remember if I got it to work either.

Another project attempted and half forgotten.

So imagine my surprise to see today's post on The Tiny House Blog: Global Sun Oven an Option for Tiny Houses? Somebody actually manufactures them, and they look very similar to the ones Mom put together almost 40 years ago. However, at a retail price of about $300, I don't think I'll be running out to buy one tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment