Saturday, August 6, 2011

Mercury Retrograde

The Lavender Country and Folk Dancers board met today in the Northampton, MA area. Some of us went yesterday to go to the Greenfield contra dance that one of our members called last night. As it turned out, I drove from my friends' home to Greenfield by myself.

About halfway to Greenfield I realized I'd left my cell phone at my friends' house. I had a slight moment of panic. What if I got lost? What if...? It wasn't all that long ago we'd get in the car and drive for hours to get from Point A to Point B without a phone in the car. If we got lost, we found a gas station and asked directions, or at least a map. If the car broke down, we found a pay phone or flagged down a passing motorist. Of course, one of the results of the explosion of cell phone usage is that pay phones have all but disappeared.

Today I got home after the board meeting and discovered that I left my Kindle at my friends' house. A few text messages and they were able to find it, and we figured out how to they were going to get it back to me. At least I had my cell phone!

If you don't know much about astrology, the planet Mercury affects communication, technology, cars, and the like. A planet is in retrograde when it appears to be moving backward through the skies (it's really just on the other side of its orbit). And when a planet is retrograde, it affects things negatively. Especially Mercury. Things in general just seem to go wrong when Mercury is in retrograde, which happens about three times a year.

I hadn't realized Mercury was in retrograde until I saw something on Facebook this evening. Phone. Kindle. And the check engine light coming on in the car just as I got to Bridgeport on the way home.

So it might not be the influence of Mercury, but it sure seems like something or someone is having fun stacking the deck against me this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment