Saturday, February 5, 2011

Home Again, Home Again

There is something about sleeping in your own bed.

Whenever I leave for a trip, one of the last things I do before departure is put clean towels in the bathroom and clean sheets on the bed. It feels good to slip between clean sheets after a day of traveling.

Today's trip home was easy compared to Monday's trip to Charlotte. I was able to check in for my flight at the hotel after lunch. The shuttle ride to the airport took about half an hour. I got to the airport in plenty of time to eat a leisurely supper and then get some work done for the NAECED board.

There was a brief delay leaving because catering forgot a piece of equipment for the plane. We still would have arrived early because of the tail wind, but we ended up in a holding pattern as the rerouted arrival vectors for incoming flights at LaGuardia due to deteriorating weather conditions. In the end, we arrived on time. A quick phone call to arrange for transportation home, followed by a short wait, a 40 minute van ride, and I was home.

In spite of the weather, and there were a lot of travel stories shared at the conference, no on missed the conference because of it. The only absences were due to illness.

This morning's schedule was breakfast at 8:00, Eucharist at 8:30, workshops at 10:00, and lunch at 11:45. I attended Vicki Garvey's "Biblical Family Values: Not." It was a humorous and informative romp through the Bible following the threads of participants' remembering family incidents that are there.

After lunch, several of us sat in the lobby of the hotel waiting for our rides to the airport. It felt good to just sit and talk.

And so I am home. I will probably have some further reflections on the conference tomorrow. But for now, I'm going to enjoy sleeping in my own bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment