Friday, May 21, 2010

Nuts Are NOT My Friend

In the months before my diverticulitis attack nuts had become a staple in my diet. They are a great source of protein and "good" fat. Because they take a fair amount of time to digest, they're also good to snack on before going to bed, so you don't wake up ravenously hungry and wondering why your blood sugar plummeted. So when I learned that I had diverticulosus, which is the actual condition, I wondered how I was going to replace the nuts. I was relieved when the doctor told me that current thinking was that nuts weren't a factor in causing diverticulitis. Nor tiny seeds. What I needed to avoid was things like popcorn, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds--all large seeds.

A couple of weeks ago I had painful day and wondered whether or not I was going to have to go back to the hospital. Fortunately, it cleared up. Then Wednesday night I started experiencing the pain--and other symptoms--that felt like what I experienced a couple of days before I went to the hospital. Yesterday, I thought I might end up going to the hospital this morning. Fortunately, the pain started to ease, and this morning I woke up feeling a whole lot better. Some extra fiber and water yesterday and today seems to have cleared it up.

Looking back, the only common link was a snack of nuts a few hours before the symptoms began.

So I guess I'll be eliminating nuts from my diet.

Not a happy camper.

Peace,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment