Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Picture Is Worth $700 Billion

One of the blogs I read regularly is Dan Roam's The Back of the Napkin (aka Digital Roam). Dan recently published a book by the same name that everyone who uses PowerPoint ought to read before doing their next presentation!

Today I happened to page down and rediscover his post of September 15 titled "Careful, Senator, your politics are showing." He talks about a workshop he recently did for the heads of staff for the Democratic Senators.

Whenever I give a workshop, I ask in advance for a sample problem relevant to my audience, so that I can demonstrate the power of pictures in a context drawn from their real-world experience.

In this case, Doug supplied me with a thick set of economic data comparing eight years of the Clinton Administration with eight years of the George W. Bush administration.

Once drawn out, the results are shocking.

Go take a look for yourself.

And if anyone tells you that Bush had to deal with a Congress controlled by the Democrats for a good part of his term, remember that the Republicans controlled Congress for most of Clinton's term.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment