Saturday, April 7, 2007

This Is The Night

I attended the Vigil at my former parish, Grace Episcopal Church here in Norwalk, primarily because they asked me to play flute for one of the canticles and one of the hymns. It was a rare opportunity to play for someone/something other than myself and to play with other musicians. Several years ago I participated in my very first Vigil there and was asked by the rector and the choir director to sing the Exsultet. During my years at Grace, I had the chance to experience a wide variety of music and worship styles that I do not have the opportunity to do at my current parish. Sometimes I miss that, so I jumped at the chance to play for this service this evening.

The music was a mix of the familiar and the new, but it was the Liturgy of the word that proved to be the most powerful and meaningful I've experienced in a long time. The first reading, "The Story of Creation," was done by two people--one reading the story and one acting it out in the front of the chapel. Lois, the priest in charge, adapted a Godly Play story for "Israel's Deliverance at The Red Sea." The "Valley of Dry Bones" was done as a dialogue between two members of the congregation. The final reading was a story, "The Stolen Mother Moon," which became the sermon as Lois used the story as a metaphor and an introduction to the story of Christ's coming among us, his death and his resurrection.

We renewed our baptismal vows in the narthex of the chapel and then moved into the church to celebrate the first Eucharist of Easter.

It was not the most well-attended Vigil I have ever attended. It was not the most organized, nor the most magnificent. It was, however, full of joy and life, a celebration not only of the resurrection of our Savior, but of Grace Church as well, a parish that has suffered much over the past few years.

Tomorrow I will attend services at my current parish, St. Paul's in Fairfield. The people will celebrate joyously. Some of us will be wearing rainbows as part of the Rainbow Presence, which may cause some discomfort. I am sure it will be very powerful in its own way, but it will lack the intimacy of the Vigil and the connection with the ancient roots of our faith.

How blessed is this night, when earth and heaven are joined and we are reconciled to God.

Peace,
Jeffri

No comments:

Post a Comment